Sunday, January 15, 2012

Education Inequity

1)      As much as I admire out Founding Fathers, I do not see that all men/women are created equal.  There are major differences among people as to mental abilities and disabilities.  There are major differences among people as to physical abilities and disabilities.  These we understand and schools have tried a variety of different tactics to provide a quality education for ALL.

      The major problem is the major differences in opportunities for students.  Many students come from homes that are in shambles.  Many come to schools without the social abilities that are needed.  The differences in schools based on socio-economic location are vast.  I read about this in urban compared to suburban areas.  In Iowa, I have taught in an affluent school and a rural school in a depressed economic area.  Students are different.  They have different life styles.  They have different expectations.  They have unequal opportunities.  Some of this is the fault of the schools.  Some of this is because the families in poor areas have no idea what to expect from schools.

      When survival is the level of Maslow’s Hierarchy that you are at, success in school becomes secondary.  That is what we need to combat.  I disciplined a student once.  I told him what he did wrong.  I told him how he needed to act.  I told him that we expect more from him.  He looked at me and said, “And I suppose that you want me to succeed?”  He has no expectations of succeeding in school.  Very unfortunate for an otherwise bright young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment